IELTS

Monday, March 8, 2010

IDIOM -2

Break-a chance to succeed, a great opportunity
Ex. If only I would be given a break in this career, I’m sure to succeed.

Brush up on-to review
Ex. I need to brush up on my Japanese or else I might find it hard to understand the clients.

Chip off the old block- a child who looks so much like his/her parents
Ex. I knew right away that he’s Greg’s son. He’s a chip off the old block.

Come to terms-to have a conclusive agreement
Ex. After ten tiring months of negotiation, we’ve finally come to terms.

Crack a joke-to tell jokes
Ex. Some people think that Jack knows nothing but to crack jokes.

Cut it out-to stop doing or saying something annoying to the other person
Ex. Why do you keep on teasing me? Cut it out!

Doll up-to dress elegantly
Ex. She probably likes him very much, for her to doll up like this.

Get hitched-get married
Ex. Ken is already in his thirties. I wonder why he hasn’t thought of getting hitched yet.

Get it over with-to finish a rather unpleasant task
Ex. This task is rather boring. Let’s do it quickly and get it over with.

Go for-to prefer, to like
Ex. Keith is the kind of guy she goes for.

In deep water-in a serious trouble
Ex. He lost his job and he hasn’t finished paying for his car yet. He’s in deep water now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONTACT
KETHARAM THAVATHARSINAN
ammawanakkam@gmail.com

Popular Posts